I noticed on a recent episode of Kourtney and Kim Take Miami, Kourtney was shown drinking butter? But why? I had to do my research and came to find Kourtney was actually drinking ghee. Ghee is a type of clarified butter that is common in Indian cuisine.
Many women incorporate a tablespoon or two of ghee into their diet during pregnancy because it is said to help with your baby’s brain development. Kourtney did just have her second baby, but she’s not pregnant anymore.
Even though ghee is a saturated fat and high in fat and calories, in moderation it does seem to have some health benefits. Ghee actually helps your body absorb more of the vitamins and minerals that you consume. It also helps lubricate stiff joints, gives your skin a glow, and helps with digestion.
Moderation is key and drinking butter of any sort is going to pack on calories and in turn end up causing weight gain and increase the risk of things like cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
In a recent interview Kourtney explains that she drinks ghee mainly for beauty reasons.
“I drink a teaspoon of liquid ghee first thing every morning and then wait 20 minutes before eating or drinking anything. The oil has been great for my hair and skin. I don’t think it’s for everyone though.
Want to give it a try? Here is a Ghee Recipe:
1. Melt a couple sticks of butter on a pan over low heat.
2. Don’t stir the butter at all.
3. The butter will separate into three layers: foamy on top, golden in the middle (clarified butter), white liquid on the bottom (the milk solid).
4. Remove the white foamy top with a spoon.
5. Turn off the heat and allow the remaining two layers to cool for several minutes.
6. Pour it slowly through a cheesecloth (or something similar) until you get all the golden liquid out so only the milk solids are left.
7. Use an air-tight container, and store it in the fridge.